The State of Hawai’i – Department of Health (DOH) has created the following simple steps to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 and reduce its impact.
Stay home if you start feeling ill
- Stay home if you have symptoms of fever or cough unless you are going out to seek medical attention.
If you become sick
* Do not go to work or school or use public transportation
* Isolate yourself in a separate room or area and away from others
* Use separate bathroom if available
* Call your healthcare provider before seeing a doctor
Avoid close contact with people
- Keep your distance from other people (at least 6ft or 2 arms lenghts)
Wash your hands often
- Use soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol
Clean and disinfect
- Clean frequently touched objects and surfaces
Cover your coughs and sneezes
- Use tissue paper and dispose it immediately upon use. Use your elbow if you have none.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
Get the flu shot
- People with seasonal influenza exhibit similar signs as COVID-19
- This will help the healthcare system determine your condition faster and get you treated
For more information, visit Department of Health – What You Can Do.
By Kristofel Abella
Ka Lā staff writer