A Kalihi man accused of fatally shooting a 16-year-old boy says he was acting to protect himself.
Prosecutors have charged 50-year-old Richard Obrero with second degree murder in the death of the boy, Starsky Willy of Honolulu.
The shooting occurred late Thursday night at Obrero’s property on Kula Kolea Drive near Kalihi Valley Homes.
Responding officers determined a suspect later identified as Obrero shot at a group of males, who allegedly had trespassed on his property several times earlier in the evening.
Obrero told police the boys were shooting at him and later determined they were using a pellet gun.
He is being held on $1 million bail.