The University of Hawai’i advises everyone to follow the Center for Disease Control recommendations and Hawaii Department of Health guidelines for protection. The U.S. State Department instructs people not to travel to China.
The CDC always recommends everyday preventive actions to help prevent the spread of respiratory viruses, including:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash hands with soap and water if hands are visibly dirty.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
DOH advises everyone to get vaccinated for influenza because there are similar symptoms between the coronavirus and the flu. Everyone is asked to follow standard procedures if experiencing flu like symptoms:
- Avoid contact with others
- Do not travel while sick
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available
While general use of face masks is not recommended by medical practitioners, please do not be alarmed by anyone wearing face masks. This is common practice in many Asian countries and has become a growing trend in the United States, and Hawaiʻi in particular. More often than not, the wearer is trying to protect themselves from others.
As of right now, there are NO reported cases in Hawaiʻi.
For more information visit
- UH Coronavirus Resource Page: http://go.hawaii.edu/Axu
- CDC recommendations: http://go.hawaii.edu/API
- DOH guidance: https://health.hawaii.gov/docd/advisories/novel-coronavirus-2019/
- State Department: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/China.html